Okay, nothing in life is free. Grace had to work a full day in the NY office and I had places to go and people to see. So, my parents were nice enough to watch the kids during the day. The catch was that I had to drive them out to Tenafly where they were staying – normally no problem. However, on the way there, I was driving up the 9A and noticed that the entire inbound upper deck was standing still (mostly big rigs – none moving). When I got on the upper level, I could see people standing outside their cars, not a good sign.
Now I was worried about how I was going to get back. I got some navigation assistance from Eemoh and followed them, only to be diverted by the police with a roadblock, which sent me further west into NJ. Eventually I got off and meandered my way locally to a freeway that did dump me inbound on the lower level, but it was bumper-to-bumper and slow-going. After almost 3 hours, I made the round trip.
Highlights from my/our adults-only day in Manhattan:
- Lunch with my long-lost college friend, Sylvia (aka, “Sly – she successfully eluded the camera), with whom I was reconnected by “the facebook.” It’s been almost 17 years, since I’ve seen or heard from her, so we had a lot of catching up to do. She works at the Travel Channel, and sent me home with a bag full of tchotchkes. So great to catch up!
- Met Bobby in SoHo for coffee (iced – it’s hot)
- Rode the subway (just for sport) up to Grand Central and stopped by the Sugar NYC office at 275 Madison. It was late in the day, and thankfully, Gabby and Alexis were holding down the fort (and there to let me in!)
- Coincidentally ended up at Saks where Jen and Grace were meeting after work
- Had dinner with Sueann, John, Linda, Danny, Jen & Grace at Bar Americain. The last time we ate there together, Bill Clinton swooped in for a quick bite.
- Excused myself early from dinner to make the trek back out to NJ to pick up the kids. Much less eventful on the return.
Great day! I need at least another week here.